GEn’s admission requirements are designed to select sudents who are the most likely to succeed in their learning and to fullfil the values we expect from a future engineer in Energy and Environment.
Every year, a ratio from 65 to 70 students graduate after a 5 year-study cycle.
Our graduate students are multidisciplinary engineers in the fields of energy and environment, and contributors to ecological and energy transitions.
The GEn engineers mainly work in areas like energy production and distribution, building energy, energy consulting, processes and environment with the aim of increasing their capacities to adapt and progress in various careers.
They are trained to set up :
- Their expertise in improving the efficiency of energy and process engineering systems ;
- Multi-energy systems including decarbonised sources ;
- Ecotechnologies and industrial and territorial ecology strategies ;
- Management systems and analysis methods as part of an SDRS initiative for organisations.
The GEn department was created in 1975 after the first « oil crisis », a period which also led to the emergence of environmental awareness. In 2001, the specialization « Environment » was added to the syllabus.
The INSA GEn department is supported by :
- Two research support units and their sector-specific expertise : the Centre for Energy and Thermal Sciences of Lyon (CETHIL Lyon) and the research unit for Waste, Water, Environment and Polluted Areas (DEEP Lyon).
- Our alumni program connect students to a vast network of their fellow GEn graduates, most of them being fully involved in the evolution of our educational model and offer a wide range of jobs and internships opportunities. The alumni network is the primary supporter of many proposed activities, whether it be meetings with students, teaching, conferences or jobs and internships opportunities.
- The AGEnIL Student Club which manages on site student life calendar through recreational, sports and social activities on campus and outside. They also contribute to professional events as the Alumni Party, the Business Forum, public open days… and to our annual Graduation Ceremony.
More details :
- Almost all our students have been abroad at least once during their training
- A carbon policy to make GEn students aware of their carbon footprint when travelling abroad
- 3 possibilities of double degree in France (INSTN, IFP School and ISAE-ENSMA)
- 5 testing platforms
- From 65 to 70 graduate students every year
The 3-year cycle in GEn is structured around five teaching units called UE :
- Engineer’s teaching methods
- Humanities and social sciences
The various courses are based on practical work carried out on more than 50 test benches spread over 5 platforms : Energetics, Thermal engines, Process and environmental engineering, Electrical machines and Process control.
Teamwork and project management are implemented during the 3rd and 5th years of study within the framework of the GEnEPI : GEn Interdisciplinary Project Team. The teaching model includes as well the study of two modern languages and sports practice.
The training focuses on the engineer's writing and oral communication skills. The teaching team works extensively on the written work produced by the GEn students during their studies (practical work, projects, internships) to enable them to write clear, pedagogical and synthetic reports, supported by a relevant and correctly referenced bibliography in French and in English. Similar work is carried out on oral communication.
GEn students complete two long internships (at least 20 weeks) during their training :
- The first one (called SIRD) is an introduction to research and development carried out in an international university research lab. The aim of this research trainee is to validate our students’ability to confront a scientific problem, outside of the academic framework, by applying their scientific and technical skills and by being able to present their work both orally and in writing in English.
- The second one, at the very end of the students training, is a work placement in a company. This demonstrates to students, before they start, how the theoretical principles they are taught in their courses are directly applied. One out of two internships are followed by a job offer.
La Cérémonie de Remise des Diplômes de la Promotion 2022 s'est tenue le 18 mars dernier.
Le séjour multi-activités sur Hauteville-Lompnes avec les élèves de 3ème année a eu lieu les 23 et 24 mai 2023.